There are career coaches out there for EVERYONE, but not every career coach is going to work for you. As someone who has had coaches, and knows a number of others, I wanted to put together a series of questions and topics to consider when pursuing a Career Coach. Remember this, like interviewing for a job, is a two-way interview & it should work for everyone involved!
Things to think through BEFORE you go on the hunt!
- BUDGET! There is career coaching out there for every budget it seems. So go into this knowing how much you are looking to spend. Remember, “cheaper” or “more affordable” options often mean group coaching rather than one on one OR you may be running into someone with questionable experience.
- GOALS. What do you want to walk away with from this experience? There are career coaches who specialize in a variety of aspects of careers, and you’ll want to formulate questions to make sure the person you hire is experienced in the area you need assistance with.
- TIMELINE. Each Career Coach will have their own style on how they work with their clients, how much time per week do you want to spend on this next step of your career? How long do you have before a change “NEEDS” to happen? Not all coaches have flexibility in their systems, are you ok with following their timeline?
In thinking these items through you should be able to come up with a series of questions you can ask your career coach(es) before hiring them. I’ve listed a few specific questions below to help you get started!
What to ask your Career Coach BEFORE you hire them!
- How would you describe your approach to helping clients reach (INSERT GOAL)?
- Do you have experience as a recruiter/hiring manager and/or ATS (Applicant Tracking Software) technology? (for those looking for a coach who can help them get a new job)
- How will our time during our meetings be spent? (Q&A, active collaboration, groups, skill training, etc)