You may have heard friends or coworkers mention, “my coach suggested…” and been left wondering what does a “Coach” really do? Most coaches have a specialty, an area of life that they are particularly skilled at guiding people through.
Some TYPES of coaches included:
- Career coach (advancing your career, changing career, getting a job, setting professional goals)
- Spiritual coach (getting in touch w/ a deeper side of yourself/mind and the world/universe)
- Life coach (addressing difficult patterns in behavior, handling stresses, deepening your relationships)
- Fitness coach (most commonly known type of coach, focused on health/fitness)
Beyond this, most coaches specialize in a subset of their coaching “type”. An example would be a Life Coach for Women or a Career Coach for people “emerging” in their careers.
Now not every coach is going to do things the same way, and that’s by design. You’ll want to find a coach with a system/approach that works for you! Knowing what is supportive to your own growth will be helpful going into finding a coach. Your first meeting should be a time for both you and your coach to decide if this will be a productive partnership.
Examples of WHAT a coach does:
- Support discovery, and growth
- Creates actionable plan customized to client (may include: homework, keeping a journal, practice with a skill, etc)
- Hold you accountable and assist with progression towards goals
Now that we’ve talked about what a coach does and how, let’s talk about when to reach out to a coach for support. People will reach this moment at varying times, some people will naturally want constant and continued growth, and will pursue coaches regularly. Whereas others look for that support only at specific moments in their lives, often when faced with a stress they are struggling to conquer.
Examples of WHEN could a coach be helpful:
- Stuck: Not finding the results you are working for or don’t know how to get desired results
- Change: Seeking a clear change for yourself
- Plateaued: No longer progressing with current system(s) in place
- Drive: Focused on growth/improvement and want the extra push/support to go beyond your current skill set
I’ve found coaches throughout my life, some who I hired to support me, and others who naturally coached me to reach a goal or provide insight. The people who’ve coached me, hold a special place in my life.
If you’ve had someone like this in your life, feel free to comment and give them a shout out for how they’ve supported your growth!